Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Poetic Philosophies Speak To Me

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Today, i felt like writing about poems that i love...so here goes!

I totally forgot which movie or TV show this poem came from, but it stuck to my head immediately after hearing it...i seriously fell in love with it coz of course, everybody hopes for this...at least for once in your life! So then, after typing it in Google (what would life be without Google?) i got the title of Cummings' words...it's called "Somewhere I Have Never Travelled, Gladly Beyond":

somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond
any experience,your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility:whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands



The part that I heard was the final stanza...that was was made me 'pay attention'. I mean, as much as Cummings is known for his wrongly-punctuated poems, this really spoke to me; especially the part of "i do not know what it is about you that closes and opens; only something in me that understands the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses"...i mean, wow! Okok, it's basically impossible for me to explain how this affects me, but it does...period!

I also decided to post another poem, but this one has a darker tone to it...it's about love tearing you apart, that you warn others not to put everything on the table for him/her to take...it's by Yeats, and i also love it...it seems real to me, and it is also based on his love for Maud Gonne... i think! There are many more poems written about her or to her, but this one really is heartbreaking to me...it's called "Never Give All the Heart":

Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

So here ends the analyses of poems, both are two ends of a coin: An oxymoron. A paradox. An irony. That's what life is...that's how love is.

Wow, i surprise myself sometimes! I should do this stuff more often...

Toodlez, bitches!!!

0 comments: